15 February 2017

ARTIST BIOGRAPHY



I was born in Georgia, USA, in 1982, and raised in Illinois. I attended Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH from 2000 to 2004, where I studied drawing, oil painting, etching, lithography, wood carving, bookbinding and film animation.

Meticulously detailed ink drawing on calfskin vellum is my specialty. Since my baptism into the Catholic Church in 2004, most of my artwork has been religious in subject. In my work, I attempt to be faithful to the Second Nicene Council’s instruction that the composition of religious imagery is not the painter’s invention, but is approved by the law and tradition of the Catholic Church.

Seeing in the art of the Middle Ages a faithful and vigorous expression of that tradition, I draw much of my inspiration from Gothic illuminated manuscripts, panel paintings and tapestries. I am especially interested in the principles of typology, natural symbolism and sacred mathematics governing this art, and hope to demonstrate their universal and continued relevance.

One of my most prestigious projects was completed in 2011, when the Vatican commissioned me to illustrate a new edition of the Roman Pontifical. In 2012, I established Millefleur Press, an imprint for publishing broadsides inspired by the work of 15th century printers. I am a prolific designer of custom bookplates.

I live near Chicago with my wife Michelle (a classical singer) and our four children. More of my work can be seen at www.danielmitsui.com. I am currently accepting commissions.